Organizational Development Consulting Experts Guide Business Leaders Through Change
To thrive in today’s business climate, incorporating effective change management consulting services can mean the difference between usurping the competition or becoming irrelevant in your marketspace. Disruptive technology, economic turbulence, and intense competition require businesses to move swiftly and adapt to changing conditions. At RTG Solutions Group, a change management consulting firm, we know change is inevitable, yet required. We help organizations embrace bold change with a structured approach that engages everyone in the organization, follows a clear process and embodies a commitment to communication.
Change Management Strategy is Important to Implementing Initiatives
Smart leaders anticipate change and its effects within the organization. However, maneuvering through change can be overwhelming and complex. There are many situations in business operations where change management strategy is needed. Our organizational development consulting experts can take you there.
- Organizational change – Structural change to the organization’s hierarchy, leadership, or department structure can impact everyone across an organization. Corporate mergers and acquisitions can place a strain on company culture, employee engagement and communication.
- New technology and systems – The focus on implementing new technology is often about hardware, software, system integration and compatibilities. New systems like an ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning), CRM (Customer Relationship Management), and others, will impact people, workflow, culture and communication. If it changes how employees work, it’s important to apply change management strategies in the implementation plan.
- Learning & Development – Adding or updating employee training opportunities and requirements as part of your overall learning & development efforts, including a new learning management system (LMS), is disruptive to the whole organization. How you prepare for this disruption and communicate this information significantly impacts your employees.
- Cultural transformation – Corporate culture plays an integral role in employee engagement, retention, communication and a company’s success. Purposefully evolving to a new culture involves tremendous change. Foresight of how that change will impact everyone, at every level in the organization, is critical to the success of the cultural transformation.
- Strategic planning & new initiatives – New directions, projects, processes, products, or services affect change within an organization. How leaders communicate and navigate the change of these efforts determines how employees embrace them and how successful they will be.
- Communication approach – The communication tactics, cadence, and delivery channels used to communicate vertically and across the organization are important for information flow, employee engagement and getting work done. Updating the Intranet, or adding a new instant messaging collaboration tool? Assessing how to improve communications within the organization? All of these efforts impact people and contribute to change.
- RTG Management System – Implementing even a single aspect of the RTG Management System contributes to change within an organization. How leaders plan, communicate and integrate this change to the work structure and culture is important to employees embracing it.
Difficulty of Implementing Change Management Initiatives
Change management has been part of the business lexicon and a strategic business practice since the late 90’s. However, with the speed and transformations required to lead businesses today, the one constant, is change. And there is little argument among senior leaders and employees across an organization that change is difficult. Often, communicating change and creating buy-in among employees is challenging. Some business resources convey a 50-70% failure rate with change management initiatives. However, in our change management consulting we find that, as outlined in Harvard Business Review, that change management is not insurmountable if tackled the right way.
Difficulty of Implementing Change Management Initiatives
The importance of change management is indisputable. However, the tactics to tackle change can be difficult. It’s important to be aware of areas where organizations can stumble in their change management efforts.
- Lack of commitment and support by senior leadership
Yes, it starts at the top. If the CEO and senior leaders across the organization embrace change management efforts and acknowledge that changes within the organization require attention to stick, nearly half the battle is won.
- Lack of employee engagement and understanding
Are all employees aware of and embrace the changes in the organization? Often their lack of engagement is triggered by their lack of understanding of how changes affect them and their role with the organization.
The level of employee engagement and buy-in to the change is related to the level of communication and commitment by leaders.
- Lack of measurable objectives and milestones
Any comprehensive initiative that does include measurable outcomes is set up for failure. Our lean approach and belief in the importance of measuring outcomes is foundational in our change management consulting approach.
- Lack of effective communication
Consistent and well-framed communications within an organization is critical to business operations. Add in disruptive change to an organization, and the importance of communication efforts significantly increases.
Change Management Priorities for Businesses Today
Several factors are important for businesses to be successful with their change strategies.
- Leader engagement – Yes, it really does matter if leaders believe in and support the change efforts. How genuine leaders are in communicating and discussing change initiatives will positively resonate across the organization. It cannot be faked. They either fully support it, or they don’t.
- Speed of change – How fast a business produces products, delivers services to customers or innovates new ideas is critical to growth and sustainability. How fast change can effectively occur is equally important.
- Employee Inclusion – Do your employees know change is coming? Or do leaders hold-back information until the implementation phase? We believe that although subject matter experts and leadership is instrumental in change initiatives, it’s important to begin the cadence of communicating to employees early on so they feel included and part of the solution.
- Reinforce new behaviors – Initiating change in an organization is not a one-and-done approach. With change, comes new behaviors and a way of doing things. It’s important to continually reinforce and measure change adoption across the organization.
RTG Solutions Group’s Approach to Change Management
Purposeful change in an organization doesn’t happen accidentally. We believe that managing change shouldn’t occur in silo. Change is initiated as a result of any number of efforts, including organizational restructure, addition of new technology, strategic initiatives and cultural transformation. Our change management consulting approach to helping organizations navigate change, regardless of the intent, involves our commitment to people, process, and communication.
People: We’ve highlighted above the importance of leadership support and involvement to change initiatives. Employees at all levels of an organization who have connectivity to the change should be engaged and communicated with to create buy-in and ensure adoption success. Change will always impact people in an organization. All efforts surrounding the change should involve engagement with everyone.
Process: We believe the success of any business hinges on its efficiency and ability to continuously improve processes. Our commitment to process improvement efforts is foundational in implementing change management efforts. The change management process includes utilizing analytics and KPIs to measure goals and maintain schedules.
Communication: We believe the role of communication in any organization is critical to success. For effective change strategies, strategic communication through the right channels and to the right audiences is critical to adoption. Communication is often overlooked as a critical element in ensuring the success of the change initiative.
Effective change initiatives don’t happen by accident. Partner with RTG Solutions Group, a change management consulting firm, for customized solutions to make change stick as part of a winning culture in your organization. We understand organizational development consulting – and we are here for you.